About the Program
- 2nd Leadership Development Program for Higher Education Institutions in Southeast Asia
Levelling up university leaders in Southeast Asia
Higher education institutions (HEIs) in Southeast Asia face a growing number of challenges, among them the massification, diversification, internationalization, and marketization of higher education.
In addition, there are challenges specific to Southeast Asian HEIs, including the need to keep in step with the ASEAN International Mobility for Students (AIMS) initiative, gain recognition through the ASEAN University Rankings system, and prepare themselves for the unique local and regional challenges that come with the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) agenda.
For Southeast Asian HEIs to effectively address these issues, a critical determinant would be the quality and capacity of their leadership. HEI leaders must be forward-looking, receptive to innovation and change, and possess strong n this regard, the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA and The HEAD Foundation (THF) are co-organizing this leadership development program that is designed as a capacity building workshop for administrators, middle and senior managers, and academic leaders of HEIs in Southeast Asia.
The program aims to provide a platform for higher education leadership in the context of local and regional contemporary challenges. In addition, through exercises involving environmental scans, design thinking, and strategic management, the program aims to engage participants in identifying and prioritizing some cross-cutting issues that need to be addressed in light of the rapidly changing needs of industry and the workplace. At the end of the program, participants are also expected to prepare a strategic agenda for submission to their own HEI management, which will include action points embodying their take-home lessons on education and managerial leadership
Who Should Apply?
The intended participants of the program are 20-25 administrators, middle and senior managers, and university leaders of HEIs in Southeast Asia who are at least master's degree holders and are newly appointed leaders, or are poised for leadership positions in the near future.
Participants of this leadership development program for HEIs are expected to be able to:
- Discuss present-day principles and best practices in leadership and management in higher education as asserted by experts and seasoned administrators, as well as by fellow participants;
- Analyze contemporary issues and opportunities in higher education leadership and management; and
- Propose strategic actions to address the current challenge and to take advantage of present opportunities facing their respective HEIs in particular and higher education in Southeast Asia in general.
Participants will prepare their strategic agenda or action points for submission to their respective University managements. These will embody their take-home lessons on educational and managerial leadership from the program, and addressing their priority needs for levelling up in step with AEC 2025.
Program Content and Approach
The Program will cover the following topics:
- Challenges, Issues, and Opportunities: Analysis of External Factors and Positioning of HEIs
- High-Performance Leadership: Values and Ethics
- Strategic Management
- Design Thinking
- Faculty and Staff Development in HEIs
- Disruptive Technologies in Teaching and Learning
- Quality Assurance in Teaching and Learning
- ASEAN Mutual Recognition Framework Arrangements
- Transitioning from Management to Leadership
This one-week program will use a variety of adult learning methods, including lecture-discussions, Q&A, case analyses, simulations, and workshops. Workshop outputs will be presented in plenary sessions, intended to promote exchange of ideas to assess and to suggest improvements to workshop outputs.