Tokyo University of Agriculture-SEARCA Scholarship for Dissertation Doctorate Program
This is a collaborative project between Tokyo University of Agriculture (Tokyo NODAI) and SEARCA. The Dissertation Doctorate Program for Agriculture and Natural Resources aims to contribute to the enhancement of agricultural research and development in Southeast Asia through the provision of a Tokyo NODAI-SEARCA scholarship for eligible candidates to be able to complete a doctorate dissertation.
Effective Academic Year 2020-2021 for a duration of three years (until AY 2022-2023), the scholarship provides one slot annually for a three-year graduate program leading to a Dissertation Doctorate at Tokyo NODAI. The scholarship is open only to nationals of the regular member countries of the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO), namely: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste and Vietnam.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
The following are the scholarship eligibility criteria:
- Must be a researcher with full time employment at the university or research institution;
- Holder of a master's degree in agriculture or related fields;
- Has produced at least three (3) peer-reviewed scientific papers in scholarly journals in applicant's country or abroad and has served first author of at least one of those papers;
- Must have already made a substantial progress in a research project which will deserve a doctorate degree in three years; and
- Not more than 48 years of age at the start of the program.
Application and Selection Procedure
- Application requirements must be submitted by 30 March of every year.
- SEARCA does the preliminary screening and selection of candidates and forwards a shortlist of candidates to Tokyo NODAI on or before 30 April of every year.
- The Tokyo NODAI makes the final selection of one awardee and appoints suitable adviser for the candidate; Tokyo NODAI then informs SEARCA of the final awardee and his/her assigned supervisor on or before the end of May, every year.
- The SEARCA GSID informs the successful candidate immediately. The scholarship awardee will start his/her study program in July of every year.
The successful scholarship recipient is entitled to the following:
- One international round-trip plane ticket per year for three years for the one-month consultation with the adviser at Tokyo NODAI
- Allowance to cover expenses for food and accommodation for a maximum one month only at Tokyo NODAI per year for three years
- Budget for printing of dissertation, exam and academic supervision fees.
- One-time international travel (round-trip) for the scholar's adviser at Tokyo NODAI to visit the scholar in his/her home country.
Applicants must fill out online the Tokyo NODAI-SEARCA Scholarship Application Form and upload a copy of all required documents. The required documents to be submitted (in hard copy/printed form) should be in English or must have official translation in English:
- Original or certified true copy of academic records for the BS and MS degrees bearing the seal of the University and fresh signatures of the Registrar or Head of the University;
- Certification of employment;
- A recommendation letter from employer;
- Updated curriculum vitae;
- Brief description of the research the applicant plans to conduct for dissertation; Planned research must be aligned with SEARCA's overarching theme of Accelerating Transformation Through Agricultural Innovation (ATTAIN). Moreover, priority research topics must fall within the ATTAIN priority areas:
- Agri-Business Models for Increased Productivity and Income
- Sustainable Farming Systems and Natural Resource Management
- Food and Nutrition Security
- Transformational Leadership for Agricultural and Rural Development (ARD)
- Gender and Youth Engagement in ARD
- Enhanced ARD towards Climate Resilience
- EcoHealth/One Health Applications to ARD
- Two copies of passport-size photo of the applicant;
- Certification from a medical doctor that the applicant is in good physical and mental health condition and is fit to undertake graduate studies; and
- Proofs of at least three peer-reviewed scientific papers published in scholarly journals in the applicant's country or abroad; the applicant must have served as first author of one of these papers.
Effective Academic Year 2020-2021, the scholarship project will award one scholar per year for a period of three years (until AY 2022-2023).
For inquiries, please contact:
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
College, Los Baños, 4031 Laguna, Philippines
Tel: +63 49 554 9330 to 39; +63 49 536 2290; +63 49 572 3743; +63 2 8657 1300 to 02 local 2200 to 2203
Fax: +63 49 536 7097