In his welcome message, Dr. Rusty G. Abanto, President of CNSC and SEARCA Alumnus, said that engaging in a purposeful undertaking such as research and extension offers an array of opportunities in looking for solutions in addressing problems faced by the people and the society as a whole.
More than 90 participants from six countries all over Southeast Asia attended the event wherein SEARCA scholars and alumni shared ongoing initiatives, experiences, and best practices in promoting research and extension.
Dr. Shaufique F. Sidique, Director of the Institute of Agriculture and Food Policy Studies of Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) and a recipient of the SEARCA Professorial Chair Grant in 2017, served as the keynote speaker. He presented the current developments of fisheries in Malaysia. He also discussed the importance of ecosystem-based fishery management, aquaculture and biotechnology, artificial reefs, and an improved supply chain to further develop the industry in the future. In his speech, Dr. Shaufique, stressed the vital role of research and extension in looking for solutions to problems faced by different stakeholders of the Malaysian fishery sector.
Other SEARCA scholars and alumni who presented papers in the conference are:
- Dr. Quyen Dinh Ha "Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation"
- Mr. Krisdakorn Wongwai "Sustainable Buffalo Raised on Natural System on Carcass Composition and Meat Quality between Nakhon Phanom Province, Thailand and Khammouane Province, Lao PDR"
- Mr. Divo Dharma Silalahi "The Use of Near Infrared Spectroscopy as Rapid and Non-Destructive Technique to Determine the Nutrient Level on Dried Ground Leaf and Soil of Oil Palm"
- Mr. Charlie Batin "Improving Production of Quality Bamboo Poles through Community-based Extension Approach in Ilocos Norte, Philippines"
- Mr. Daud Samsudewa "Bow, Inspire, Greet, Hope, and Upgrade (Big Hug)-The New Techniques of Sustainable Extension to Improve Behavior of Tourism Village Community: Case Study of Podosoko, Sawangan, Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia"
Speakers from the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), and the National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI) also shared their views, experiences, and success stories on research and extension during the conference. (Blessie P. Saez)