MAKATI CITY - Eleven Southeast Asian nationals received their scholarship awards under the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) through the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture or SEARCA. The scholarship award is for academic year 2019-2020 to pursue their graduate studies at the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). The DAAD Handover Ceremony was held on 25 November 2019 at the German Club, Makati City. The First Secretary for Cultural Affairs, Mr. Kai Tomzig, assisted by Mrs. Katja Becker-Sliwa, DAAD representative and Lecturer at UP Diliman, handed over the grants to eight scholars present during the ceremony. Mr. Tomzig and Mrs. Sliwa were very pleased to meet the scholars as well as listen to the research plans of each grantee.
The 11 scholarship holders at UPLB are, as follows:
- Ms. Vat Sovanny/Cambodia – MS Applied Nutrition
- Ms. Edchelle S. Flores/Philippines – MS Community Development
- Ms. Ines Soares Pereira/Timor Leste – MS Environmental Science
- Mr. Cipto Nugroho/Indonesia – PhD Plant Pathology
- Ms. Marla V. Relloso/Philippines – PhD Agricultural Economics
- Ms. Zyra May H. Centino/Philippines – PhD Agricultural Economics
- Mr. Augusto Barros/Timor Leste – PhD Animal Science
- Ms. Mai Thanh Huong/ Vietnam – PhD Agricultural Economics
- Mr. Le Phuong Nam/Vietnam – PhD Agricultural Economics
- Mr. Mai Tien Huy/Vietnam – PhD Agricultural Economics
- Mr. Phan Xuan Tan/Vietnam – PhD Agricultural Economics
Likewise, 14 DAAD-SEARCA scholars studying in other study posts, such as: Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) in Indonesia, Kasetsart University (KU) in Thailand, and Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Malaysia, have been granted In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program for AY2019-2020.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is one of SEARCA's partners in its human resource development program since 1975, with more than 380 DAAD-SEARCA scholarship grants awarded, 90% of which have been successfully completed.