DAAD Partnership with SEARCA
DAAD's partnership with SEARCA started in school year 1975-1976 by providing support for the Center's graduate scholarship leading to Masters and PhD degrees in agriculture.DAAD's partnership with SEARCA started in school year 1975-1976 by providing support for the Center's graduate scholarship leading to Masters and PhD degrees in agriculture.
The first 15 beneficiaries of the DAAD support were graduate students from Cambodia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. Ten scholarship recipients pursued their Master's degree, while five pursued their PhD.
As of Academic Year 2019/2020, the DAAD scholarship has been awarded to 19 Cambodians, 84 Indonesians, 8 Laotians, 15 Malaysians, 24 Myanmar nationals, 89 Filipinos, 81 Thais, 26 Timorese, and 45 Vietnamese, or a total of 391 Southeast Asians (191 MS, 195 PhD, 5 Non-degree).
In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme
- Open to nationals of SEAMEO member countries who are employees of academic or research institutions or government agencies (priority is given to regular employees).
- Must not be more than 35 (Master's Degree) or 40 (PhD) years of age at the time of application.
- Proposed thesis research should focus on SEARCA's overarching theme of inclusive and sustainable agricultural and rural development (ISARD). Thus, areas of specialization of scholarship applicants should be in agriculture or related sciences, which include:
Agriculture Agricultural Technology Statistics Food Science and Technology Forest Products and Paper Science Biological Science Veterinary Medicine Animal Science Economics and Management Fisheries and Marine Science Forestry Natural Resources and Environment Human Ecology Math and Science Biology Engineering Geography Social and Political Sciences Development Communication Agricultural Economics Agro-industry
Covers tuition and other school fees; study and research allowance; printing allowance; stipend for food, lodging and incidental expenses; travel allowance (In-Region only); and insurance.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research grant in Germany for 2 to 6 months, at the time of application. The short-term research scholarship includes:
- A monthly scholarship payment for living costs
- Health/accident/personal liability insurance
- A flat-rate travel allowance
Any one of the following universities under the University Consortium, may serve as study posts of DAAD-SEARCA Master's and PhD scholars:
|Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB)||Bogor, Indonesia|
|Kasetsart University (KU)||Bangkok, Thailand|
|Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM)||Yogyakarta, Indonesia|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)||Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia|
|University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)||Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines|
Application forms and information brochures on the universities that may serve as study posts of DAAD-SEARCA scholars are available and may be downloaded from here.
Each applicant is required to submit the following documents:
- DAAD-SEARCA Application form;
- Admission notice or proof of application to the university;
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (one for MS, two for PhD);
- Official transcript of academic records of each degree completed (BS transcript for MS applicants and BS and MS transcripts for PhD applicants);
- Letter of motivation (mentioning the planned research in Germany, if applicable);
- Certification of employment;
- Brief description of the research the applicant plans to conduct for thesis/dissertation. The research topic must be in line with the thrusts of SEARCA's Tenth Five-Year Plan i.e., social equity, environmental integrity and regional economic integration by promoting food and nutrition security; value chains and agribusiness commodity systems; innovations and modern technologies; rural entrepreneurship; climate change adaptation and resiliency, natural resource management; sub-regional cooperation in trade and investments; and government policies/reforms that address rural poverty, inequitable growth, and environmental degradation. The Plan is available at the SEARCA website www.searca.org/strategic-thrusts
- Copy of bio-page of the passport;
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu);
- Certification from a medical doctor that the applicant is in good physical and mental health condition and is fit to undertake graduate studies;
- Official endorsement from the employer;
- Study plan; and
- Results of Test of English as a Foreign Language: TOEFL iBT result (80) or IELTS results (6.0). The TOEFL results must be issued by Princeton, New Jersey, USA. Check the schedule and venue of TOEFL tests in your country at http://www.ets.org/toefl
- For PhD candidates, submit the following additional documents:
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (mentioning the planned research in Germany, if applicable)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
For further information about the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme, you may check this Call for Scholarship Application 2020 (PDF).
Deadline for submission of application to SEARCA is 15 October 2019.
Deadline for submission of application to DAAD is 1 December 2019 via https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal.
Application Forms and Information Brochures
|UP Los Baños Graduate School (UPLB GS)|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)|
|Kasetsart University (KU)|
|Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB)|
|Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM)|