- SEARCA concludes month-long summer school on food security
- SEARCA, DAR to train Agrarian Reform Beneficiary Organizations in Nueva Ecija
- UC Executive Board concludes meeting
- UC members ink accord on joint degree programs
- Towards the Final Stretch – SEARCA organizes final evaluation workshop of the climate change adaptation project
- Thirty-two Southeast Asian media practitioners learn about biotech reporting in SEARCA regional workshop
- Cambodia Ministry of Rural Development (MRD) commends SEARCA’s Technical Assistance
- SEARCA joins relief efforts for Typhoon Yolanda victims
- Meeting of minds on climate change adaptation - SEARCA, UPLB and LIMASMARINA River Basin Council
- SEARCA Joins the World Food Day Colloquium 2013 in Stuttgart, Germany
- AFCC Stakeholders discuss embedding KM in the ASEAN
- Twenty-three Southeast Asians learn and share about climate change adaptation in watersheds
- SEARCA Director named UPLB Outstanding Alumnus
- Former SEARCA Scholars conferred UPLB Most Outstanding Alumni
- SEARCA organizes workshop-meeting to validate Umbrella Program on Food Security for Southeast Asia
|SEARCA officials get UPLB alumni awards|
Three SEARCA officials were among the recipients of University of the Philippines Los Baños Alumni Association (UPLBAA) awarded at the UPLB Alumni Fellowship and Awards Night held on 9 October 2011 at the EB Copeland Gymnasium, UPLB.
Dr. Gil C. Saguiguit, Jr., SEARCA Director, together with his late father, Dr. Gil F. Saguiguit, former SEARCA founding Deputy Director, and his son, Mr. Gil Antonio C. Saguiguit III, are members of the Saguiguit family who were given the 3 Generations Award. Dr. Saguiguit, Sr. graduated from UPLB in 1947 with a BS in Agriculture (BSA), while Dr. Saguiguit, Jr. completed his BSA in 1974 and MS in Agricultural Economics in 1977. Mr. Saguiguit III obtained his BS in Agricultural Economics in 2011.
Dr. Francisco F. Peñalba (BSA 1971), Deputy Director for Administration, was named Outstanding UPLB Alumnus (Research and Community Service).
The UPLB Chancellor and Country Representative of the Philippines to and Chair of the SEARCA Governing Board, Dr. Luis Rey I. Velasco (BSA 1978, MS 1982), was given the UPLB Distinguished Alumni (University Administration).
Other UPLBAA awardees were three SEARCA graduate alumni namely: Dr. Chamnian Yosraj, President, Maejo University, Thailand; and Dr. Samakkee Boonyawat, Associate Professor at the Department of Conservation, Faculty of Forestry, in Kasetsart University, Thailand; and Dr. Carmencita Kagaoan, Head, Institutional Development Division, Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Agricultural Research (DA-BAR), Philippines (see related story). (Leah Lyn D. Domingo)