- GIZ, SEARCA and DA-BAR conduct 2nd National Consultative Meeting for the ASEAN Network on Promoting Climate Resilience of Rice and Other Crops
- Four SEARCAns to visit Brunei and Singapore under SEAMEO staff exchange program
- SEARCA conducts FGD on impacts of climate change on the Philippine rice sector
- CCC learns from SEARCA KM practices
- Ninety-Four Participants from ARBOs in Nueva Ecija participate in the Integrated Production Management System for Rice and Vegetables Training Workshop
- Food Security and Food Safety links to CIRAD’s risk-based “One Health” approach seen
- SEARCA to partner with AFA for ARD2014
- 2013 global status of biotech crops presented in ISAAA-SEARCA-BMARC media conference
- SEARCA BIC participates in annual biotech information network meeting
- Eco-Town project concludes adaptive capacity training
- SEARCA, IPSARD conduct the Vietnam 1st National Consultative Meeting under the GIZ-ASEAN Climate Change Program
- SEARCA-PCC institutional benchmarking activity in Kenya begins smoothly
- 36th SEAMEO High Officials Meeting tackles post-2015 agenda, endorses 3 new projects
- SEARCA and WorldFish facilitate IBAMO's 5th Executive Meeting and Planning Workshop
- 66 Bulacan ARBO staff undergo SEARCA and DAR sponsored Training on Integrated Production Management System
|SEARCA officials get UPLB alumni awards|
Three SEARCA officials were among the recipients of University of the Philippines Los Baños Alumni Association (UPLBAA) awarded at the UPLB Alumni Fellowship and Awards Night held on 9 October 2011 at the EB Copeland Gymnasium, UPLB.
Dr. Gil C. Saguiguit, Jr., SEARCA Director, together with his late father, Dr. Gil F. Saguiguit, former SEARCA founding Deputy Director, and his son, Mr. Gil Antonio C. Saguiguit III, are members of the Saguiguit family who were given the 3 Generations Award. Dr. Saguiguit, Sr. graduated from UPLB in 1947 with a BS in Agriculture (BSA), while Dr. Saguiguit, Jr. completed his BSA in 1974 and MS in Agricultural Economics in 1977. Mr. Saguiguit III obtained his BS in Agricultural Economics in 2011.
Dr. Francisco F. Peñalba (BSA 1971), Deputy Director for Administration, was named Outstanding UPLB Alumnus (Research and Community Service).
The UPLB Chancellor and Country Representative of the Philippines to and Chair of the SEARCA Governing Board, Dr. Luis Rey I. Velasco (BSA 1978, MS 1982), was given the UPLB Distinguished Alumni (University Administration).
Other UPLBAA awardees were three SEARCA graduate alumni namely: Dr. Chamnian Yosraj, President, Maejo University, Thailand; and Dr. Samakkee Boonyawat, Associate Professor at the Department of Conservation, Faculty of Forestry, in Kasetsart University, Thailand; and Dr. Carmencita Kagaoan, Head, Institutional Development Division, Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Agricultural Research (DA-BAR), Philippines (see related story). (Leah Lyn D. Domingo)